Hundreds of Facebook users have encountered problems with the Facebook website and app this morning, prompting widespread reports of outages. Just before 9 am ET, the Downdetector website received over 900 reports of Facebook outages in the United States. Shortly after, similar reports started emerging from the United Kingdom.
Learn here to fix it : How To Fix Facebook Dating Is Not Working
Stay updated on the latest developments by following our live blog dedicated to Facebook.
Today at 16:00,
The Reason behind Facebook’s Name Change Mark Zuckerberg believes that the name “Facebook” no longer accurately reflects the company’s current activities. According to Zuckerberg, the brand is closely associated with a single product, which is insufficient to represent their current and future endeavors. He emphasized that their focus is not solely on increasing screen time but on enhancing the quality of the time users spend on their platform.
The term “metaverse” refers to virtual world environments that can be accessed via the internet. These virtual spaces are made immersive and realistic through technologies like virtual reality and augmented reality.
Today at 15:30, Amanda Castro
Further Explanation of “Meta” The term “meta” originates from the Greek word “μετά,” which encompasses various meanings such as “with,” “after,” “beyond,” and “alongside.” In the context of the metaverse, it represents a virtual reality space where users can engage with computer-generated environments and interact with other users.
The concept of the “metaverse” was initially introduced by Neal Stephenson in his 1992 novel Snow Crash, which explores the parallel existence of both the real world and a virtual online world.
Today at 15:00, Amanda Castro
Understanding “Meta” In October 2021, Facebook underwent a rebranding and adopted the name “Meta.” Mark Zuckerberg explained that this new name better encapsulates the essence of the company. He stated that their primary focus is on developing technology that fosters connections between people, but the name “Facebook” was no longer comprehensive enough to encompass their diverse range of activities.
We are a technology company that aims to connect individuals. Facebook was conceived during a specific time and within a specific context, such as a college campus and the early days of the internet. However, our company has evolved significantly since then.
Today at 14:29, Amanda Castro No Updates from Meta Regarding the Outage Duration The US Sun reached out to Meta for information regarding the ongoing outage, but no response has been received thus far.
Today at 14:25, Amanda Castro Previous Facebook Outages, Continued Over the years, there have been several reported instances of Facebook outages, including the following:
- November 2021: Facebook experienced a malware issue that affected user logins and sharing.
- December 15, 2021: Users encountered difficulties logging into Facebook.
- May 4, 2022: Facebook suffered a global outage, impacting both the website and app.
- October 27, 2022: Facebook users reported an outage, and Instagram also experienced issues.
- December 5, 2022: Users faced issues with the Facebook website and server.
- April 11, 2023: Global users, including those in the US, Mexico, Australia, and the UK, reported problems with the Facebook platform.
Today at 14:21, Amanda Castro Previous Facebook Outages Throughout its history, Facebook has faced various outages, some of which include:
- June 2014: Facebook experienced a half-hour outage, the longest in four years.
- January 2015: Users worldwide encountered a 40-minute Facebook outage.
- March 2019: A massive Facebook outage lasting approximately 14 hours affected users worldwide, marking one of the most significant interruptions experienced by a social network.
- January 2021: A bug on the Facebook mobile app caused most users to be logged out.
- March 2021: Over 60,000 users reported problems with Facebook, with an additional 38,000 Instagram users facing issues.
- September 2021: Facebook users experienced difficulties accessing their accounts.
- October 2021: Facebook was one of several apps affected by outages.
Today at 14:19, Carsen Holaday Complaints About Facebook Dating Issues Users of Facebook Dating have expressed their frustrations on Twitter, claiming that their dating profiles appear to have been deleted. One user warned others not to use Facebook Dating, citing the unexplained removal of profiles. Another user lamented being prevented from using Facebook products without any valid reason.
Today at 14:17, Amanda Castro Checking if Facebook is Down If you’re experiencing difficulties with Facebook, you can check other social media platforms like Twitter for reports. Alternatively, you can use Downdetector, which provides information about app outages and issues. If the problem seems to be isolated, you can try checking your device’s internet connection or restarting the app before attempting to log back in.
Today at 14:13, Amanda Castro Account Deletion Concerns Users are commenting below the Downdetector announcement, expressing their frustrations with Facebook. One user stated that their Facebook Dating app was not working, and it appeared as though their account had been deleted.
Today at 14:09, Amanda Castro Facebook Outage Heat Map Downdetector has released a heat map illustrating the concentration of user-reported issues with Facebook over the past 24 hours. Although it is common to observe sporadic problems throughout the day, the map indicates over 950 reported issues as of 9 am EST.